http://MyWellnessSolution.Weebly.com When we buy commercial cleaning products, we expect them to do one thing: clean! We use a wide array of scents, …
When we buy commercial cleaning products, we expect them to do one thing: clean!
We use a wide array of scents, soaps, detergents, bleaching agents, softeners, scourers, polishes, and specialized cleaners for bathrooms, glass, drains, and ovens to keep our homes sparkling and sweet-smelling.
But we have to realize that everything we pour down the drain or flush down the toilet will end up in our municipality’s sewage treatment system and eventually in our rivers and the ocean. Of course, some components are biodegradable. But other compounds are not, and can do massive damage to our environment.
In our home, there are toxic chemicals everywhere. Each room has its load of toxic cleaning products. Here are the top 5 toxic household products in our kitchen we should consider replacing by an environmentally-friendly version.
Window or Glass Cleaners
Many glass cleaners contain ammonia, which produces fumes that are highly irritating to eyes, nose, throat and lungs, and should not be used by people with asthma, lung or heart problems. Even worse, combining products that contain chlorine and ammonia can react with each other to form lung-damaging and potentially lethal toxic gases called chloramine. Some window cleaners also contain isopropanol that can irritate mucous membranes in the nose, mouth, eyes and ears. If swallowes, isopropanol can cause drowsiness, unconsciousness and death.
Antibacterial cleaners are commonly used in the kitchen. We use them to clean things that come in contact with food (cutting boards, counter tops, etc). Disinfecting what comes in contact with our food help prevent contamination by harmful. However, antibacterial cleaners can cause more harm than good. It may contain ammonia, detergent, lye, cresol and phenol. Those substance are corrosive to tissue, can irritate eyes, and lining of nose, mouth and throat, damage liver, kidneys, lungs, pancreas and spleen, can cause central nervous system depression, severely affect circulatory system, and are suspected to cause cancer.
They contain cleaning agents with “cationic”, “anionic”, or “non-ionic” in their names. These products may irritate skin or make people more sensitive to other chemicals. The main ingredient usually used in these detergents is phosphate. Phosphates are a famous water pollutant. When phosphates are discharged in municipal waste water, they act as a fertilizer, causing overgrowth of algae. Too much aquatic plant life eventually reduces the water’s oxygen supply, causing the death of fish and other organisms. Although many U.S. states have outlawed phosphates from laundry detergents and some other cleaners, they are still used in automatic dishwasher detergents.
All-purpose cleaners may use many different kinds of ingredients, such as detergents, grease-cutting agents, solvents, and disinfectants. All-purpose cleaners can contain hazardous chemicals such as ammonia (see “Window of Glass Cleaners” section above), Ethelyne Glycol Monobuytl Acetate, Sodium Hypochlorite, Trisodium Phosphate. Depending upon the ingredients used, all-purpose cleaners can irritate the skin, eyes, nose, and throat. They are highly poisonous if swallowed and can damage heart, kidneys and brain.
Oven cleaners are used to help break up the baked on food stuck to the inside of the oven. The basic ingredient of oven cleaners is lye (either sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide). Lye is extremely corrosive, and can burn your skin and eyes. It is usually fatal if swallowed.
Of course, eliminating all cleaners from our home is a non-sense, however, taking the time to read the labels to find out what is in them, possibly opting for phosphate free versions and avoid the use of oven cleaners with lye, are easy little steps you can take to reduce your family’s exposure to toxic household products.
For more information how to reduce toxic cleaning products in your home click here: